Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Once upon a time...



I love a good book and I have used these summer holidays to read some good ones!

I finally jumped on 'The Rosie Project' bike - just fabulous. Very clever. Looking forward to reading the sequel, The Rosie Effect. Australian author (NZ born) Graeme Simsion previously wrote books data modelling and was an information systems consultant. Talk about a change! No surprises that Sony Entertainment have optioned the screenplay.

Zoe Foster's 'Air Kisses' has been around for a while but it was fantastic chic lit I consumed in a couple of days. Good to know she has a few others for me to read too. side note: "Textbook Romance" she wrote with Hamish Blake? Brilliant.

I had heard good things about Liane Moriarty and chose 'the husband's secret' as my first novel of hers to read. I. Could. Not. Put. It. Down. Holidaying with all the family in Noosa, I was incredibly anti social as I marathon read. So good to again read a story from an Australian author.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy and take as much as I did from Sophia Amoruso's #GirlBoss - what she has built is incredible and inspiring.

I'm about 3/4 the way through Yes Please by Amy Poehler. I likey! I was talking about it with friends, many didn't really like it, or not even finish it. Preferring Bossypants by Tina Fey. I read Bossypants a couple of years ago and must say I am preferring Amy's book. A fair bit of it is lost on me (as it was in bossypants) - talking about their time on SNL and particular other comedians i'm not familiar with, but there is still enough for me to enjoy besides this.

Next up? The Naked CEO By Alex Malley- given I'm moving into a brand new job on Monday where I will be developing and managing a new area of business for an international firm - I'm taking in all the hints and tips and must do's by the ones that do it best. What have you spent this summer reading?


1 comment:

  1. Great suggestions! I like hearing from a friend rather than reading reviews by strangers. I trust your judgement! But I hated The Rosie Project, devastating! I bought it as my New York book last year (whoops, two years ago now) and I just couldn't get into it. So disappointing because everyone has loved it. What is wrong with me!? I might have to download some of these other beauties on my kindle xx

    ReplyDelete